Sunday, April 13, 2014

A Short Story About a Rare Toy Hubley Motorcycle

Sunday, April 13, 2014
         (Cloudy and raining)


A Short Story About a
Rare Toy Hubley Motorcycle

   I always like to tell people about my blog in order to get more readers. Two days ago, I mentioned to a morning coffee friend Jeff, that I have a blog. Yesterday, I saw him and he mentioned that the writing was short although he liked the blog. Naturally, I kept the comment in my head, and lo and behold, By sheer coincidence, I had a "longer" narrative for today's post.  It's a more interesting story, with lots of help from all over!

   Hubley for those who don't know was a famous late 19th century- early 1960's toy manufacturer in the USA. In the early years, they manufactured fine cast iron toys, and one of their more famous line of these toys were their motorcycles. Yesterday, I came across a fine example with a small delivery platform attached to the motorcycle. It even had a name - Schabers Cycle Shop.

  I had Jeff's comment in mind, so I decided to search to see if in fact there ever was a company called Schabers Cycle ShopSure enough, there actually was a company in Ithaca, New York by that name. I couldn't find much information in the short time I spent to check, but I found some very nice material to add to today's post. 

Part I - The Toy


The story begins with a fine item from Bertoia Auctions. I have been very fortunate to have the Bertoia Auctions family help me out with my blog.

Hubley "Schabers Cycle Shop" Delivery Indian Cycle

Very rare example, cast iron, painted in green overall with orange van stripe, gold trim; tank embossed "Indian" features a low side body supporting a removable pressed steel enclosed van body, black roof, green sides; stenciled private label on sides, rear reads "BICYCLES RENTED".*
Circa: 1930's
Length:  6 1/2"    165 mm

 Description Courtesy of Bertoia Auctions*


Notice also the nice wheels to the motorcycle. They are most likely nickel plated. 


I especially like the removable pressed steel van bod.



Part II - There actually was a Schabers Cycle Shop

The first pale that I decide to search was at Liveauctioneers. There I found a listing from Morphy Auctions. I've also been fortunate to have Dan Morphy and his company help me with my writing.

The category of collectible for old paper is called ephemera.
What I always like about old letters, envelopes with old stamps, or calendars, is the fact that telephone numbers have only 4 numbers and there are no area or ZIP codes for addresses.
I'm not sure if you would just dial the number 9919 or dial DI 9919. Back then the letters would be used to make remembering telephone numbers easier.
In 1958, when we moved to Outremont (Montreal,Quebec,Canada), 
my telephone number was Crescent 7-6738 ( CR 7-6738)

The search turned cold on Liveauctioneers, so I now had to search on the Net with Google. I'm not 1000% happy with Google Blogger, but they do have the best search engine-period!

I did a fast search for Web content (written material), and images, and came up with 2 more nice connections. Naturally, I had to write to the people to see if I might use their images, and I was very lucky. Both write back to give me their permissions.

keatingwheelcompany

Brian currently (April 13, 2014) does not have any merchandise for sale.However when you visit his feedback page, you'll be able to see the excellent feedback comments, as well as the most recent items that he has sold. 


Mr. Brian Keating of the keatingwheelcompany on ebay

I decided to check out  the US President on the stamp. 
I was 99% sure that it was president Harding, but I had to be sure for the post.
One of my favourite resources for cross-referencing information to verify facts is Wikipedia.

Wikipedia

 Stamp of President Warren G. Harding Courtesy of Wikipedia
Imagine 1 1/2 cents to send a piece of mail in the 1930's!

My next marvellous discovery was from  Mr. Adam Baron. In doing a  Google, I found a multi-talented photographer by the name of  Adam Baron.


Adam is very talented both in the area of illustration and of course photography.
When I read a bit of his background it is quite impressive and current. He's been selected for a 
book cover in 2014 by a famous author, and in a recent book from Adobe called Adobe's Master Class. If you like eye-catching photography or even need an excellent photographer, Adam is a great talent.

It looks much better there!

You  absolutely have to visit Adam's fine portfolio. If you like to smile at clever illustrations and excellent photography, Adam's work has to be seen. It will make your day!

I hope that you liked today's post. It certainly was most-interesting for myself to travel back in time to connect the name Schaber's Cycle shop, with the original Hubley private-label of the original company. 

Thanks for dropping by to visit,
and as always, have a great part of the day or night,
wherever you may be.
Stacey
My email address is:
toysearcher@gmail.com

No comments: