Thursday, March 10, 2016

What is it - can anyone help?

Thursday, March 10, 2016
Overcast and seasonally warm



What is it - can anyone help?




     From time to time, I receive requests from people asking if I can identify their toys. I'm by far no expert, but if I can't help, I ask the owner to send me photos of his/her toy, and I will add a post. I also ask if anyone might help out to identify the toy. Since  more readers read the post, hI'm hoping that someone out there has a similar toy or knows who made the toy.

     I received a request from Mr. Charles Francis to help with his toy. Charles hadn't sent photos, so I asked if he might send photos and I could add a post especially for him.  I received the photos today, and sized them for the blog.

     Below is what Charles wrote, so I hope that someone might be able to help out.

"Thanks Stacey. 
I have attached some pics.  The toy is about 9-10” tall, the head and hands seem to be plastic or molded something (not metal). It is a wind-up and the legs and feet move. The feet are cast iron. I have tried to find something similar with no luck. Only close thing was a happy hooligan from 1905.
Appreciate any assistance you can provide. The fun is finding out what it is.
Thanks so much,
Charles"





Today's post is short, but I hope that someone will be able to help Charles out.
The toy is 9-10"  ( 228 mm - 254 mm) high, has cast iron feet, and is a wind-up toy. 
As well, Charles mentioned that the hands and head appear to be plastic-like.
Charles also mentioned that the toy resembles the character "Happy Hooligan", and he did see a similar toy  from about 1905. 

The character was a comic strip character from 1900-1932 and the cartoonist was 
Mr. Frederick Burr Opper who published under the Hearst newspaper chain.


Thanks for dropping by, and as always,
have a great part of the day or night,
wherever you may be.

Stacey Bindman

toysearcher@gmail.com





No comments: